Each year, participating schools are invited to attend the KGHS Summit. The summit offers students the opportunity to display their work in KGHS, network with other students from across the state, share green and healthy ideas, and also be recognized for their work at their schools.
As schools complete projects in each of the nine categories in the KGHS program, they become eligible for awards. Awards are presented each year at the Summit.
Note: This event is held in conjunction with the KY NEED Student Awards Ceremony. Schools participating in either or both programs are invited to attend.
KGHS Awards Process (Existing Schools)
As schools complete projects in each of the nine KGHS categories, they become eligible for awards.
- Submit Pledge Form
- Complete KGHS Teacher Training
- Complete at least one of the nine KGHS categories
School in Progress
- Complete two new KGHS categories (for a total of three different categories completed)
*One of the first three categories completed must be Instructional Leadership.
School Under Development
- Complete three new KGHS categories (for a total of six different categories completed)
Official Kentucky Green & Healthy School
- Complete three new KGHS categories (for a total of nine different categories completed)
Model Kentucky Green and Healthy School
Award: Model plaque with year plates
- Revisit at least one category per school year and submit a new Project Report Form for at least one new project.
- Model schools agree to mentor another school, teacher(s), or group of students. For example, a teacher mentoring another teacher who is new to the KGHS program and wants to develop a composting program, or older students working with the elementary school to establish and support a recycling program.